Ice cream has been my one guilty pleasure since I decided to become low gluten and thus ditch most process foods. I’ve been buying the small individual servings of Dreyer’s/Edy’s ice cream for the past few months, but I don’t like the idea of all the chemicals and preservatives that are found in store bought ice cream. I want to put good things in my body, even when I’m eating a sweet treat like ice cream, so I recently bought a Hamilton Beach ice cream maker on sale at Kohl’s. Today I making ice cream (peach flavor) for the first time with a recipe I found online.
I will admit this take a little more time and planning than store bought ice cream, but the process was also really fun. The ice cream maker instructions suggest letting the freezer bowl of the ice cream maker sit in the freezer overnight, but I had mine in there for about 36 hours before I actually got around to making the ice cream.
When I was ready I peeled/cut 4 fresh peaches and combined them in a blender with 1/2 cups of sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Once combined, I put the mixture in the freezer and let it chill for about 30 minutes. Then in a separate bowl, I whisked two eggs and combined them with 3/4 cups of sugar, 1 cup milk and 2 cups heavy cream. Instead of combining the peach mixture and the ice cream base together in a bowl, I just poured them both in the ice cream maker and let the ice cream maker mix them together. After 20 minutes in the ice cream maker, I had soft serve peach ice cream, but because I like a firmer texture, I put the ice cream in the freezer for 2 hours before eating it.
Verdict: Eat again, but add small chunks of peach for added flavor and crunch.
Peach Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups peaches, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream or 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- Combine the peaches, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the lemon juice in a bowl.
- Cover and place in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk in the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- Pour both mixtures into the ice cream maker and follow ice cream maker directions.